Thursday, May 20, 2010


The Statendam was built in the Netherlands in 1993.  It is 719 feet long and 101 feet wide.  It’s gross tonnage is 55,819.  It carries 1,20 passengers and a crew of 580.  It has a maximum speed of 22 knots.  It is not the biggest class of cruise ship but it can pass through the Panama Canal, whose width is 106 feet.  Staterooms are nice size and the balconies are spacious. The ship is designed for an older group of travelers with few children.  I counted six bars and a coffee bar.  The library was the best I’ve seen on any cruise ship. 
Note on Life;  It looks like my grandson is joining the Navy.  We wanted either the Navy or Coast Guard.  He’s been living with us for the pass two years and high school graduation is coming up.  He does not  want to go to college at this time so the service looks like a great opportunity.  My main concern, like any other parent, I did not want him out trying to be a policeman of the world.  The world will take care of its self.  Democracy and capitalism will eventually spread through out the world, maybe not in my lifetime, but it will happen.  If I were evangelical, it sounds like I would be a postmillennial believer.  But anyway, wish my grandson the best.
Leaving San Diego harbor we passed the aircraft carrier Ronald Reagan.  We all assume it was being painted because of all the tarps over the ship.  I later found out that the tarps were there while the ship is in port to cover up the top secret equipment. So, out of San Diego harbor headed for our first stop:  Puerto Vallarta

No comments:

Post a Comment