Sunday, November 21, 2010

More Syfogin New York

I've been asked by a few of you about the name of my blog "Syfogin" and what
that means. I feel like I grew up around the word but it was my
father-in-law, Mr. F. M. Buford that provided the definitive definition.
First, for those new to the word and how to pronounce it, the first part is
"Cy". For you baseball fans, that's as in the Cy Young Award. The second
part is "fogin" as in I'm fogin my back yard for mosquitoes. So, it's
Syfogin. According to Mr. Buford it is an old Indian word that means to get
on your horse and ride around looking at things. As Chief Crazy Horse said,
"Let's go syfogin up to the Little Big Horn and see
what's happening." Of course Mr. Buford had an active imagination, but
there you go, it's Syfogin.
In Mr. Buford's tradition, my Sweetheart is now going to take you Syfogin a
little around New York City.
As you know, on some trips you over pack and other times things just seem to
fall apart. Sugars first discovery was that his cobbler had given him the
wrong pair of walking shoes for the trip. They looked the same but one size
to small. We all know how cranky you can get without your "normal & usual"
stuff.
Even though New York is one of the largest cities in the world, shopping is
not always easy. In addition it turned out he forgot to pack a casual pair
of slacks. So off we go looking for both items.
Natives know how to use the subway system in ways we foreigners never
realize. How can two stores separated by three miles be right next door to
one another, I ask a person from New York city. It defies logic for someone
used to walking from place to place. It has something to do with this
subway station being next to that subway station, so two places seemingly
miles apart are next to one another.
We stumbled in Macy's and were blown away by the fresh flowers! All the
windows and everywhere in the store were huge (15 feet) flower arrangements,
garlands and animal scenes. The store was packed. Didn't find any britches
for my Sugar but it was a sight to behold.

Continuing to wander around we found what NYers call a shopping mall.
Actually just a building with a few stores. Definitely not a mall in our
sense of the word. As we entered we were presented with a pair of round
naked brass people 25 feet tall. I guess everyone takes this photo op then
apparently they rub the graphic part of the male figure (if you get my
drift). It is rather shiny!

We made a point of dining at The Russian Tea Room, one of NYs famous
restaurants. There are four floors each done in a different style and
atmosphere Only one was open because of the Easter weekend. It is one of
those place where they pull the table out for you. Food and service were
divine. We bought a pair of Faberge champagne flutes in their own little
box as a reminder of that wonderful evening.

I The Russian Tea Room is next to Carnegie Hall and delighted when a young lady did walk up to me and ask me how to get to Carnegie Hall. For once I could seriously use the line “Practice, Practice, Practice”
Tomorrow we board the Queen Mary 2 for the cross Atlantic crossing

No comments:

Post a Comment