Saturday, November 13, 2010

NORTH ATLANTIC CROSSING in April of 2009

A crossing of the North Atlantic is more than just a voyage along one of the most storied routes in nautical history, it is a true high-seas experience. The five day trip doesn’t just take you from here to there, it takes you on a modern day adventure. Cunard’s Queen Mary 2 departs from New York City for a civilized and leisurely cruise to Southampton, England, style truly does count on this ship. This crossing has always been one of my dreams and I hope to share it with you in this remembrance but first we must start in New York City. The Greatest City in the World. I guess I’ve been a little prejudiced since first reading Around the World in New York City. We arrive in New York three days before departure on the cruise and in time to do some sightseeing around the island. Upon arriving my expectations are always so high I get disappointed about doing needed shopping before just Syfogin around the City. At least My Sweetheart tells me it’s needed shopping. The picture at the beginning of today’s blog is at the ferry landing in Battery Park, here we join the ferry for Ellis Island. Ellis Island in the New York harbor was the gateway for millions of immigrants as the site of the nation's busiest immigrant inspection station from 1892 to 1954. The main hall has been completely restored and shows and historic slice of America’s past. The Stature Of Liberty is a bonus stop on the way out to island.
Next it was time to learn an amazing fact that I never really knew. We were in New York on Easter Sunday and I had never been to the Easter Parade. I told my Sweetheart that we really must go. I found out it was on Fifth Avenue, so we started out. I was listening for the marching bands and floats, but no, Here is what I have since learned about the Easter Parade. The Easter parade is an event consisting of a festive strolling on Fifth Avenue on Easter Sunday. It is a somewhat informal and unorganized event, with or without religious significance. Persons participating in an Easter parade traditionally dress in new and fashionable dress particularly lady’s hats and strive to impress others with their finery. So, no bands, no floats and no balloons.

No comments:

Post a Comment